Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fashion Schools in Italy



Italy is known for many things such as its beauty, art and fashion. I have never been to Italy personally, but I would love to have the chance to visit at some point in my life. Even though I think that I would be in love with the country as a whole, something I am looking forward to in particular is its diverse and creative fashion.

We hear all the time that Europe has some of the best fashion out there, and from the looks of it (what I see on television and in magazines), the rumors appear to be true. It is not a surprise that several great fashion schools exist in Italy due to the many famous fashion icons who have hailed from Italy.  Some examples are: Dolce and Gabbana, Georgio Armani, Gucci, and Roberto Cavalli. People travel from all over the world to experience the amazing opportunity of studying fashion in Italy. There are many schools there that offer the program.

Accademia Italiana has campuses in both Florence and Rome and offers their students a 3-year bachelors degree, international university degrees accredited by U.K universities, master courses, and semester exchange programs with the U.S and several other countries around the world.  This school is actually one of the most prestigious university level institutes for fashion, design and photography.  Within the fashion degree the classes consist of: Fashion Illustration, 
History of Costume, 
Collection, 
Experimental Projects, Industrial Pattern Design
, Prototyping, 
Tailoring Techniques, 
Clothing Samples, 
Color Techniques, 
Textile Technology, 
Computer Aided Design (CAD), and Marketing and Business.

Another school in Italy that offers fashion is Polimoda International Institute of Fashion Design and Marketing. This school is located in Florence and offers both undergrad and graduate degrees. The undergraduate fashion courses that Polimoda offers are: Fashion Design, Footwear and Accessories Design, Fashion Technology, Business of Fashion, Fashion Product Management, Fashion Communication, and Fashion Visual and New Media.

Domus Academy, which is located in Milan, is different from the other two schools in the sense that this one strictly offers only Masters Degrees. It was the first postgraduate fashion school in Italy when it was founded in 1982. Within this postgraduate school there are several programs and classes for fashion such as: Accessories Design, Fashion Design, Fashion Management, and Fashion Styling and Visual Merchandising.

After researching and finding interesting information about each of these schools, I am actually considering attending one of them myself. I have always been interested in fashion but did not pursue a degree in the field because I mistakenly thought you had to sew the clothes rather than learn about fashion as a whole. I would also like to write about fashion, which would be a dream career of mine. Visiting Italy at this time of my life is probably a long shot because of my lack of funds, and I would like to finish school here before flying to another country. However, when the time does come I will definitely consider attending one of these great schools.

To explore these fashion schools, click the following links: 
Domus Academy

by Nicole Branco

4 comments:

  1. Fashion is always an interesting topic, especially in relation to Italy. There is always seemingly high fashion and it isn't really like the US at all. I liked that you gave us the schools because its always interesting to see where these people studied. Their sense of fashion is really unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was a really interesting topic, especially since I've heard some of those brand names before (although I haven't really bought any of them). I've been to Europe before- Spain, specifically- and I noticed that people dressed very nicely. I'm not surprised that people in Italy do, too.
    I also like that you included different fashion schools, in case we're interested in looking into them more. It certainly seems like there's an abundance of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fashion is such an integral part of Europe. If you have the oppurtunity to study in more than one country, I would recommend France as well. There is a really good movie called "Coco avant Chanel" that details Chanel's early life, and it may be of interest to you considering your thoughts on the artists of high fashion.

    Jillian Cormier

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen "Coco avant Chanel" and it is a really good movie about Coco Chanel's early life. I have been looking at semesters in Italy and have notices that a lot of the universities have fashion programs. I can see how it is such a big thing to study there when there is easy access to fashion houses to intern and work at.

    ReplyDelete